Can you teach writing?

Thursday, September 23, 2010

The age-old question.  I have always said this:  You can teach yourself (or others) to see beyond what is near, to spend time with what you're not, to bear in mind the symphonic construction of a passage, or an idea.  You can teach process:  Don't hurry.  You can teach living:  Go out, adventure, return.  You can fracture safety zones.  But the job of a teacher, most of all (I think), is to know what others have written and what another must read, right now, this second, in the midst of the long journey.



 

1 comments:

Maya Ganesan said...

I'm thinking along the same lines as you -- I'm not sure it's possible to teach writing altogether, but it's certainly possible to teach someone to go out and experience the world, which is, anyway, half the writing process, isn't it?

Thank you for giving me, as always, food for thought.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP