In one gigantic act of bravery

Saturday, September 18, 2010

I decide (will I regret this later? I'll probably regret this later) to upload a clip from a dance practice session.  John (my instructor) and I are dancing to Natalie Merchant's wonderful rendition of "The Janitor's Boy."  We're not yet ready for showcase prime time (we have a few weeks more before the event) and Scott, who is recording this for us so that I can see all the things I have to fix (which would be plenty), is explaining to a passerby that this is a "campy" foxtrot.  Campy?  Me?  Really?

Whatever it is.  Whatever it may be.  I dance because it frees me from my own head, which is, at times, not the most eloquent or elegant place to be. 

12 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wow, you've got the moves! I'm very impressed!

Karen Mahoney said...

Oh, Beth... I know you're always looking to learn and improve, so you'll see things 'wrong' with this (which is part of the process, I guess)... But, wow.

Wow. To me, that looks absolutely beautiful. I am so happy you shared it! I've been dying to see you dance. :) Maybe you'll post more in future, perhaps when you're in a full dance outfit! That would be wonderful.

You really glide across the floor like you belong there. And the beginning is fun! I love Strictly Come Dancing over here in the UK - one of my favourite TV shows - so to my 'strictly' amateur eyes, you look amazing.

Karen
<3

pink dogwood said...

So beautiful - so glad you shared. There should be no regrets or worries - you look beautiful :)

Melissa Sarno said...

You're just fabulous. So impressive. It also reminded me that I desperately need to clean my floors ;-)

Beth Kephart said...

You are all very sweet people.

And you know I mean that, right?

Sarah Laurence said...

How multitalented you are: writer, business woman and dancer! By coincidence we were listening to Janitor’s Boy in the car today, driving to the sea. Natalie Merchant is one of my favorite vocalists, my daughter’s too. I enjoyed your interpretation.

Congratulations below – I do like that B&N at Union Square, although my first love would be independent bookstores.

Becca said...

You dance just as I expected you would - with heart, and soul, and lyrical grace.

Rather similar to the way you write, I might add ;)

Holly said...

so FABULOUS! you look utterly at home.

Priya said...

I love it!! I knew you were a fabulous dancer.

Q said...

You are so lovely. You have a dancer's grace in how you point your toe, lift your arm, swing your hips. Absolutely beautiful.

Beth F said...

What a fabulous studio! Fun, fun, fun to see your practice.

And . . . Now I wish I still danced.

Kelly H-Y said...

WOW ... you are GOOD!!!! Seriously ... Dancing with the Stars, here you come! :-) You look awesome!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP