Inviting you to a commemorative evening

Thursday, September 30, 2010

This is a page torn from (or falling out of) my Radnor High School scrapbook, a place where I keep the ribbons we—the tennis team, the track team—won, a place that houses all the goofiness and wonder of then.

It was to this scrapbook that I returned in late March of this year, when I received word that I would be inducted into the Radnor High School Hall of Fame this coming November.  The news came as an utter surprise to me.  Few honors have moved me so thoroughly; few upcoming events have been anticipated so eagerly.  I loved my high school and I've placed some of my own stories, including Undercover, within a reimagined version of it.  At Radnor, I had an English teacher who cared, who set me on the path that I am now on.  That very same English teacher, Dr. Maryanne Caporaletti, will introduce me during the induction ceremonies, where I will be joined by Lee Daniels, the director/producer behind such films as Precious and Monster Ball; Christopher Goutman, currently the head writer of As the World Turns; Paul R. Michel, a federal judge; the theologian, John Galloway; the musician/producer Andy Mark; the international banker Charlie Ryan; the football star Chris Sydnor; and the family of Eygptologist Henry George Fischer.  Previous Radnor High Hall of Famers include David Brooks, Sally Bedell Smith, Janis Grant Berenstain, and Anna Moffo.

Pamela Sedor of Radnor Memorial Library has offered to make this moment in my life even more special by setting aside the evening of November 16th at 7:30 PM for what will be my first reading from Dangerous Neighbors.  I'll talk as well about my years at Radnor and about what is next in my writing life.  I hope those of you who live near can join us.

14 comments:

septembermom said...

Beth, I know you'll have a fantastic time. What a treat for all in the audience that night :)

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh ... I worked with Pamela years ago. Haven't seen her in forever.

I am going to do what I can to try and come to see two of my favorite people.

KFP said...

Could you ever have hoped or dared to imagine, as you walked those halls as a high schooler, that some day you would be so honored? I think such recognition is particularly poignant because when one is that age, one can't know if one will accomplish anything in the future. But oh, how one longs to. And now here you are, accomplished. I can understand your excitement. I applaud Radnor's choice.

Anna Lefler said...

That's fantastic, Beth! And much deserved.

I always knew you were one of the cool kids...

XO

Anna

Becca said...

Oh, that I could be there! What a memorable evening that will be for you.

Liviania said...

That's quite a high school!

Congratulations.

Kelly H-Y said...

Wow, wow, wow ... what an incredible honor ... well deserved! Congratulations!

Serena said...

I hope to make the reading.

Elizabeth Mosier said...

I will definitely be there, and the girls will alert their Radnor High School friends!

xo

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Beth. I too was incredibly moved by the honor, and the induction was lovely. You are in an impressive "class," including John Galloway, who was a great friend of my parents and gave the eulogy at my father's funeral.
Glad that you are teaching writing at Penn, where my son ('06)was inspired by Paul Hendrickson's nonfiction seminar.
Have a fabulous induction day, and all best to you,
Sally Bedell Smith

Beth Kephart said...

I am grateful to all of you—grateful to share this with you. And grateful for the visit here of a true Radnor Hall of Famer.

Mrs. Fry said...

that is amazing! I loved that your inspiring English teacher still works there! I had one in the 8th grade, and she found a new job the next year.

I still try and find her so I can say thank you for all the inspiration and love of literature.

Congratulations.

Madeleine said...

Hi, Beth! My old middle school counselor and friend of yours, Mrs. Gordon has been kind enough to send my poetry to you. I just wanted to let you know that my mom is going to drive me to PA for the event, and I look forward to meeting you! I bought your new book and it is fantastic! I love how detailed the story is, your way of writing is how I always pictured mine would be if I ever wrote a book. I can't wait to meet you and will see you tomorrow night!

-Madeleine Gaidimas

Beth Kephart said...

Gosh, Madeleine, that is a huge honor. I look forward to meeting you. And Brenda, my thanks to you, too.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP