Photo Shoot

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I wrote, a while ago, about all the babble that goes through my brain when a camera is pointed in my direction.  I am not, within, what I am without.  Do any of us achieve that perfect correspondence?

But for the recent Pennsylvania Gazette story about the life I've lived through books, I was invited to a enter the cinematic world of Chris Crisman, another Penn grad who has made it his business to appease and to ease and (somehow in the midst of it all) to make art.  You would never know it, by looking at this shot, but the lens was so close to my face when this picture was made that I suspected Chris of doing a study on the tangle of my eyelashes.  (Lancome, next time, I was thinking to myself.  And also:  I wish I'd gone to bed last night.)

Clearly, though, Chris knows what he is doing, and I share this outtake from the shoot today because Chris made Memorial Hall, a Centennial-era building, the true and deserving subject of his shot.  It's a beautiful place, newly and justly restored, and can't you just picture it back in 1876—the crowds massing in the high heat of summer, eager for the art within?

12 comments:

A. Weiss said...

Gorgeous, Beth! Simply gorgeous.

Reverie said...

You look lovely!!!!!

Karen Mahoney said...

You look really beautiful. :)

Love the whole photo, too!

Beth F said...

Beeee-uuuuuu-teeee-full!

KFP said...

Such exuberance!

You should try to use that photo on the back of the paperback version of Dangerous Neighbors. It's perfect.

Q said...

And you look beautiful, which is always a plus. I second the motion for this picture on Dangerous Neighbors--or any book, really, whether it's yours or not. ;)

chuck-s said...

Having just read the interview in The Pennsylvania Gazette, I went to your blog site and was rewarded a wonderful photo of you and your father, who was an usher at my wedding. Yes, this is Chuck Sweeley writing. Tell Kep to let me know how he is doing. I look forward to reading Dangerous Neighbors. See Proc. Japan Academy Series B, Vol 86, pp 822-836 (2010) for my memoirs in science.

Beth Kephart said...

My goodness! Thanks to all of you. I was really thinking more about the building, but it's great to hear your kindnesses on other (old) facades as well. :)

And Mr. S. — I will tell my dad. He will be delighted. Thank you for letting me know. Does he know how to reach you?

Vivian Mahoney said...

Oh my goodness, Beth! What an incredible photo! Did he also shot the photo on your sidebar? The building is certainly lovely, but you my friend, shine! The photo is magic.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP