Taking Patti Smith and Adam Foulds for a Ride

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Because Lilian Nattel is a very brilliant author and reader, I trust her, and when she sang the praises of Adam Foulds' The Quickening Maze back in late June, I knew I'd be reading the book sooner than later.  And when the dear and deep and perpetually risk-taking Elizabeth Hand wrote (long before the National Book Award list had been unveiled) that I absolutely had to read Just Kids by Patti Smith (she'd reviewed it for the Washington Post), I said, All right, Liz.  I will.

Yesterday, released for the afternoon from client work, I headed to the Chester County Book & Music Company, which is another version of paradise on earth.  We're talking an indie book store here that feels a city block deep, and those who work there stack their favorite reads up and down end shelves.  I get lost there, and I don't mind one bit. 

This afternoon, I board a plane.  Smith's coming with me.  So is Foulds.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I have The Quickening Maze out from the library right now and am hoping to get to it sooner rather than later. Will be interested to see what you think of it.

Safe travels!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Beth! That is high praise and because it comes from you, all the more meaningful.

Liviania said...

I've heard fabulous things about Just Kids. I can't wait to read your take.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP