Let's talk about voice

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

In the midst of ice and snow, one finds an inverted lime, and beneath that lime, we, the students and one teacher of a certain University of Pennsylvania creative nonfiction class, shall bravely and hopefully brightly but of course I mean metaphorically meet, beginning our conversation about (among other things) voice.  Here's what Joyce Carol Oates has to say about that:

Where in life we sometimes (allegedly infrequently) fall in love at first sight, in reading we may fall in love with the special, singular qualities of another's voice; we may become mesmerized, haunted; we may be provoked, shocked, illuminated; we may be galvanized into action; we may be enraged, revulsed, and yet!—drawn irresistibly to experience this voice again, and again. It's a writer's unique employment of language to which we, as readers, are drawn, though we assume we admire the writer primarily for what he or she "has to say."

3 comments:

Anna Lefler said...

Sing it, sister!

I mean, [ahem], I love your writing voice and I can't wait to connect with it again soon.

:-) A.

P.S. My word verification for this comment is "clist." Thanks, Blogger. Like I needed that first thing this morning. :-/

Anonymous said...

I like both, the voice and the content.

Kelsey C said...

Ah, how I'd love to be in that class! But I guess I can settle for your sharing of the perfect passage :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP