What did you buy at the Strand?

Monday, February 14, 2011

... I was asked, and of course I never leave a bookstore without something in hand.  I found this Errata Editions' reprint, Alexey Brodovitch's Ballet, first published in 1945.  According to the provided description, Errata's Books on Books series is "an ongoing publishing project dedicated to making rare and out-of-print books accessible to students and photobook enthusiasts."  I could not not support a project such as this, and besides, the book is gorgeous, and besides all that, Brodovitch was a famed designer who had once painted scenes for Diaghilev's Ballet Russes and after that became a textile and jewelry artist, all the while working as a designer of magazines until finally becoming the art director of Harper's Bazaar.  He took the photographs that became Ballet behind the scenes, in New York theaters, caring only to capture the movement and mood and disregarding technical theory.

This is a phenomenal book, a perfect Valentine's Day book, an important series.  I'd never seen it anywhere, until I happened on the Strand.

7 comments:

Melissa Walker said...

LOVELY! Leave it to you to find a real gem.

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, this is lovely...

:-) A.

Bill Alexander said...

Beth, I have been collecting several Kephart books. I have a 1906 "Camping and Woodcraft" an a 1912 Sporting Firearms" that are inscribed to aF. B. Laney and some others and want to be a part of Kephart Days in 2011. I also make and research bark baskets as described in the first book listed. How can I become involved.
Sincerely,
Bill Alexnader
Web site-mountainberry baskets.com
Phone - 865-438-3700
E-mail - wbillalexander@aol.com

Bill Alexander said...

I hve been collecting some Horace Kephart books including " a 1906 "Camping and Woodcraft" and a 1912 "Sporting and Firearms" inc=scribed to F. B. Laney and signed by Kephart. I have some other books and do research on bark baskets including the kind described in the first book listed. How, can I become involved in the 2011 Kephart Days?
Sincerely,
Bill Alexander
e-mail - wbillalexander@aol.com
Phone - 865-438-377

KFP said...

I forgot to mention in last post comment that The Strand has a website and you can buy books and other items such as Strand bumper stickers, mugs, totes and t-shirts online. Not the same as being there but it does help support this wonderful independent bookstore.

Website is www.strandbooks.com

"Souvenir" items are at www.strandbooks.com/strandwear

Anonymous said...

How delightful!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP