Pressure Cooker: Praise for the Documentary

Tuesday, March 1, 2011



With the exception of "Top Chef," "Project Runway," and "So You Think You Can Dance," I watch primarily documentary films when the TV is on. Last night, the film in the queue was "Pressure Cooker," and I'd like to use my blog space today to recommend this work of art to you.  As inspiring as "Mad Hot Ballroom," as affirming of the need for teachers who care, as true a portrait of the northern fringes of my own city as I've yet seen on screen, this is the story of a Mrs. Stephenson of Frankford High, who, in her culinary arts classroom, trains her students to compete for the college scholarships (through the Careers in Culinary Arts Program) that will make all the difference in their lives.   It's completely worth your time.

8 comments:

Beth F said...

Thanks for this. I hadn't heard of Pressure Cooker, but it is my kind of documentary for a number of reasons. I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to link this post up to my Weekend Cooking feature next Saturday. I have a lot of readers who would like to see this film.

Melissa Sarno said...

Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds like just my kind of film. :-)

Melissa said...

This is absolutely my kind of film. I love documentaries, and this one goes right on the list. (Plus, the fact that both of my parents are Frankford High alums is a bonus too. :)

Becca said...

Proof that you cannot take teaching too far...

Joy said...

This looks terrific! I put it in my Netflix queue. Thanks!
http://www.joyweesemoll.com/

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Thanks for this! Going to go check this out!

Margot said...

I'm so glad Candace linked to this post on Weekend Cooking. This is my kind of TV also. I love hearing about people who make a difference in the lives of young people. Thanks for sharing.

Heather and Henry said...

I watched this a few days ago and am dying to know what has become of these children! I can't find anything on the internet... Haven't cried so much in a long time.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP