today I shall do nothing

Friday, April 1, 2011

but that which I wish to do.  I will listen to the rain.  I will read of Montaigne and Cleopatra.  I will watch "The Fighter" in mid-afternoon.  I will buy a cupcake and eat it.  Two?

No gym, no student papers to grade, no annual reports to review (okay, maybe just one), no assembling the text for a client's presentation (all right, so, just a few more texts for a single presentation), no counting calories.

An hour ago, I found this photo in my mother's wooden scrapbook. I'd never seen it before.  Never seen evidence of me this young, two months old.  So this, I think now, is how it happened, all those years later, that my son was born with a full head of hair.  And this is proof that my hair has been unruly from day one. 

9 comments:

Holly said...

yes, i love these plans and you deserve precisely this. enjoy.
xo

Melissa Sarno said...

Ha! I'm sorry about your unruly hair. It looks very nice to me. Enjoy a day of nothing! That sounds wonderful. And Christian Bale is hot-- just throwing that out there.

Becca said...

What wonderful plans you have for this first day of April. Enjoy them to the fullest..

Elizabeth Mosier said...

What a perfect day for reflection...and much needed humor! Happy Birthday, dear friend! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love the photo! Enjoy the day.

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, look at you - already looking to see how high you could go.

Happy birthday, dear Beth!

Enjoy your much-deserved day of blissful nothing!!

XOXO

A.

Sarah Laurence said...

What a cutie. Happy Birthday! Did you get a snowstorm too? Nature has the best April Fool's gags.

septembermom said...

I love that photo. Enjoy your day of reflection and rest. You deserve it!

Liviania said...

Never count calories.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP