Girls in Wash of Blue (and what I'm reading)

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Glasses up. Glasses on. No glasses.

Don't ask me why (my own brain processes often elude even me, the owner of this most porous brain), but this photograph symbolizes my changing relationship to books as I try to decide what to read in hardback, paperback, and iPad2-ery.

Just now, I've ordered the following from the Kindle Store:

A Day in the Life of a Smiling Woman: Complete Short Stories (Margaret Drabble)
Desperate Characters (Paula Fox)
The Coffins of Little Hope (Timothy Schaffert)
Faith (Jennifer Haigh)
The Paris Wife (Paula McLain)

These join the following to-be-read Kindle titles (I read both before, as real books):

Selected Stories (Andre Dubus)
Sophie's Choice (William Styron)

Now, from the iBook store:

If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This, Robin Black

They all join Tara Altebrando's Dreamland Social Club—a real book, a hardcover, as my next reads.

I'll be reporting back, of course.

In the meantime, might I note how glad I have been to be hearing from my students during these summer days. Might I say, too, that I am grateful that there is a new generation of smart young souls who know how to use language—know where sentences begin and end, know, unprompted, how to eliminate their own redundancies, lean into the music. How you are needed. How valued you are. How you might save the world.

6 comments:

Julia said...

I'm glad you're growing comfortable with e-readers... as someone born in the 90s, I'm probably more comfortable with them than with any other medium(though I confess paper is sometimes more palpable.)

Rereading Kafka and Woolf at the moment; both are inexplicably delectable

Becca said...

Just wondering why you purchase some from iBooks and some from Kindle. My husband prefers the iBook features/formatting. I haven't yet read enough on the iPad to know the difference.

I just started The Brutal Telling, by Louise Penny..a new author and a new mystery series for me. It's wonderful -set in a small village in Quebec with a very complex cast of characters and picture perfect descriptions. It's a "real" book, by the way.

Happy summer reading :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know why either, but I love the photo.

Nise' said...

What are the girls capturing with their cameras? During these last few days of Audiobook Week over at Devourer of Books, I've heard that Faith is fabulous on audio.

Beth Kephart said...

Becca, I'm looking at the extras with the various books, or the layout of them. The Kindle books tend to be slightly cheaper. But sometimes it's worth spending the extra dollar.

And Nise'—they are photographing horses. I love this shot!

Hello to you all!

Melissa Sarno said...

That photo is very cool. They are all capturing the very same moment on their phones. I wonder what they are thinking.

I like your book list. I think about 'scenes' in Sophie's Choice often, that book has always stayed in my mind.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP