Sarah Ruhl on the Lightness of Being

Thursday, June 9, 2011

From a conversation between John Lahr and Sarah Ruhl, "one of America's most frequently produced playwrights." The words are Ruhl's:
Lightness isn't stupidity. It's actually a philosophical and aesthetic viewpoint, deeply serious, and has a kind of wisdom—stepping back to be able to laugh at the horrible things even as you're experiencing them. (The New Yorker, May 30, 2011)
I'm daring to take those words to heart. I'm trading the heat of this day for a memory of winter. I'm celebrating M.Y., one of the smartest and most successful and most sublimely silly people I know, for making me laugh out loud in a corporate corridor. I'm seeing the bright in what might have been dark. I'm not letting the quick jab or the long silence topple me. And I'm not nearly as tired as I was.

3 comments:

Melissa Sarno said...

I dig this vibe, Beth.

Beth F said...

I feel better just looking at that snow. I am fairly cranky in the heat should try to take a lesson from you.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I'll go for that.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP