Perhaps I am not a woman after all

Friday, July 29, 2011

Why is it (why?) that most women who take up the ballroom dancing thing love everything about it—the dance, sure, but also the sparkle and get-up, the false lashes, the fake tans, the glitter cheeks (not those kind of cheeks), the form-fitting spandex, the low-plunging neck lines, the high-cutting thigh lines, the razzle, did I mention the shoes?, did I talk about the spotlight?—and I personally cannot summon enthusiasm for anything but the dancing itself?

About which I am plenty enthused.

Another way of putting this:  I'm supposed to dance in a showcase on Sunday, this coming Sunday, and I still don't have anything to wear.  So that there I sit, in a studio abuzz with talk about tailor-made dresses, hand-stoned dresses, new satin shoes, fine hair, sequined headbands, items that require tape measures and pins, thinking:  I haven't even been to the mall (which is not, by the way, where the fine ballroom dresses are known to live).

I didn't grow up thinking about beauty the way most girls did.  I grew up wondering how hard I could kick the ball, how fast I could run the race, how well I could rhyme my poems.  I am, therefore, at a deficit.  And perhaps am no woman after all.

To the mall I go.  You can picture me there.  And I don't want to hear a thing come Sunday about the ruthless wild country that is my hair.  There's only so far I am willing to go and besides, my clients need me to stay right here, near the desk, on this side of invisible, where clothes don't matter one bit.

9 comments:

Elizabeth Mosier said...

Good luck tomorrow -- we'll be sending you graceful vibes!

Melissa Sarno said...

Ha! I'm with you Beth. I just spent the afternoon trying on dresses for a wedding (it's tomorrow) and I was sulking and whining to myself the entire time. You would look fabulous in anything-- I'm sure of it. Best of luck at the showcase :-)

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of different ways to be a woman. Ballroom needs to move out of the steretype. I'm with you 100%.

Becca said...

I wish I could see you dance tomorrow :) Whatever you wear, you will be spectacular! Because you love it so, and that shines through everything.

patti.mallett_pp said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!! (Oh, my. Poor you. Are these females adults?)

JOY is the best accessory! And YOU will be wearing it!

Now, you must post a picture, or better yet, a video! I so enjoyed seeing your dance lesson. You are REALLY GOOD!!

e said...

I grew up like you and feel uncomfortable with dressing up. Don't get distracted by it too much. It's just a "disfraz" for this occasion. Good luck!

KFP said...

Beth: I don't care for any of that stuff either. Just wear a simple black dress. Be yourself, you'll be beautiful.

Anna Lefler said...

I say:

Find a lovely dress.

Get your hair blown out by a pro.

Put sparkle dust on (all of your) cheeks.

Knock 'em dead at the showcase!

(All the while you can *still* kick the ball really hard.)

Break a leg!

XO

A.

Julia said...

Those qualities aren't the ones that encompass femininity. They're just a bit of vanity, that's all.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP