Pamela Paul and Adam Gopnik talk about children's books and the people who review them

Friday, September 16, 2011

The New York Times Book Review has lately been doing an extraordinary job of celebrating books written for children and young adults.  There's more coverage.  There's a greater sense of context.  There's the feeling that all of this matters greatly.  

Take a look at the upcoming Pamela Paul essay on the back page—she's talking about Sendak, Silverstein, Dr. Seuss, and rule breaking.  Listen, then, if you have the time, to the podcast slipped in alongside the story.  In it Adam Gopnick and Pamela Paul discuss, among other things, the ideal reviewer of children's books; what qualifies anyone to have an opinion?  Sam Tannehaus asks good questions.  He elicits some really smart answers.

I just sat here in the dark listening to the recording all the way through.

I'm going to stand up now, feeling heartened.

1 comments:

Sarah Laurence said...

I love my Saturday mornings with the NYT Book Review and a cup of tea. Since we get a hard copy delivered, I rarely visit the NYT online. Thanks for telling me about that podcast - it was interesting.

I've loved Sendak, Silverstein and Seuss since my childhood and revelled in the badness. I enjoyed sharing them with my kids too. My Wild Thing son insisted on that story every night for 2 years. We could both recite it by the end.

I'm pleased to see children's books getting more attention in the NYT as of late. However, this week only middle grade and picture books were reviewed. What happened to YA? Then again it seems like have the articles on YA in the NYT don't seem to get the genre at all.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP