Baby Bump (noun)

Sunday, October 16, 2011


See, I knew that would get your attention.  But it's not me I'm talking about.  Cross my heart with a pair of knitting needles (that's for you, Pam). 

I'm talking about the The Chicktionary, the debut book by Anna Lefler, which is arriving in your stores and on your screen this coming week. The Chicktionary (Adams Media) is a book of terms, 450 or so of them.  Terms women use or want to use or don't know they should use, but (if only they were as smart as Anna, or as daring) would.  Anna Lefler, comedienne, is our pink-hued lexiconic guide.  I got an early look at this (and an inside look at Anna's amazingly disciplined process) throughout the summer and early fall.  Anna would send me a definition and I'd find it on my phone.  I'd read it to whomever was gathered near.  I'd leave the crowd in wet-eyed pieces.

They thought I was funny.  Sniff.

So here's to Anna, and since I teased you up above, I'll give Baby Bump its moment, below.  That leaves you with 449 terms or so to find and memorize on your own.

Baby Bump, noun 
Also known simply as “bump,” this term refers to a woman’s visible pregnancy bulge.  An extremely common term among tabloid reporters and paparazzi, baby bump is used most often in reference to celebrities.  Examples of this use include, “Grammy-winner Alicia Keyes showed off her baby bump in a beaded, Empire-waisted sheath,” and “Paris Hilton’s alleged baby bump was revealed to be nothing more than the aftermath of a Super Burrito.”  Although a campaign was launched recently to take the focus off of women’s tummies and redirect scrutiny to male celebrities’ midsections, the terms “beer bump” and “bratwurst bump” have yet to catch on.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

You certainly got my attention with that title!

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, Beth, you are so good to me!

Thank you for all your cheers and support and encouragement and advice and...well, I could go on and on, but I'll just say THANK YOU.

XOXO

Anna

Anonymous said...

Got my attention!

The1stdaughter said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad you are loving this! I just received a review request for it and I can't wait to pick it up. :o) Love it!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP