The Perpetual Page-turner's honest critique of You Are My Only

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Prejudice—of any kind—registers as impossible for me.  I'll begin with that, and later today, when I return from a meeting, I'll tell you what I mean, and why it's necessary to speak about that now.

For right now, I want to share with you these words from The Perpetual Page-turner, who wrote a truly thoughtful, very honest review of You Are My Only.  Reviews, I know, take time.  Just sorting through what you think as you read takes time.  I am (perpetually) grateful.

A few words, then, from a gift of a review.

My Final Thought: I definitely got more out of You Are My Only than I thought I would. It's a stunning contemporary novel written so poetically and conveys the mood so perfectly that you can just feel the weight of the loss and imprisonment that Sophie and Emmy encounter and the freedom in truth and in friendships that give you means to confide in. I'd highly recommend it to both readers of YA and Adult Fiction because labels be damned..and you know I'm pretty honest and conscience of my readers, as a reader of both YA and Adult, when I recommend a book universally. Don't expect a thriller or a fast paced drama..this book shines because of the writing, well written characters and the slow unraveling of the plot. In some ways her writing reminds me of the way I feel about Nicole Krauss's writing. Every sentence just really helps create the mood and feel the weight of the emotions the characters are going through.
  (Thank you, Danielle, for letting me know about these words.)

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Beth -

I feel like my review couldn't even do it justice! I don't know what I expected to get from the book..but it held a lot more power than I had ever imagined.

I'm excited to meet you and get a copy signed! It looks as though you are doing a signing at Chester County Books! If all goes as planned, I'll be there!

-- Jamie

Kelly H-Y said...

I think she described your writing so beautifully. I've thought the same thing about your words ... there is so much to absorb from each sentence, it's stunning how powerfully you write.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP