why we read

Thursday, November 17, 2011

This was one crazy Beth day (there's a picture of me, being crazy).  Somewhere in the middle of it (between writing a chapter of the novel, rushing, with my husband, to procure the various food stuffs that our soon-to-be-home-for-a-week son will no doubt yearn for, and finishing up the second draft of a client project), I pulled a substantial portion of my personal library to the floor in search of a Roland Barthes book—Camera Lucida.  I still can't find it.  I might just have to buy another copy.

I did, however, discover (the book tumbling out onto the floor) A History of Reading by Alberto Manguel.  When it fell, it fell open to the passage below.  It seemed a sign.  I share it:

We read to understand, or to begin to understand.  We cannot do but read.  Reading, almost as much as breathing, is our essential function.


Melissa Sarno said...

Ooh, crazy Beth looks like fun in her marshmellowy coat and pretty scarf. I like that...reading as an essential function. I hope you find your book.

Serena said...

I love that the book fell out to that page and that passage called to you. I love photos of people taking photos...too fun.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP