by my mother's stone, by my son's side

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

This is the last Christmas that we'll call our son a student, or that he'll think of himself that way.  I am aware of the passing of each day.  I gladly accept every hug.

I gladly accept, too, his heart.  His willingness to rearrange this very afternoon so that he could join me in a winter trip out to my mother's grave.  In two days she will be five years gone.

"But you're so busy," I said, when he offered to come.

"No, no, Mom.  I'm not too busy.  Not too busy for that."

We stood before her stone, a polished red granite.  We placed a basket of greens by the stone.  We remembered her out loud, one to the other, and then we walked this path to the car.

He understands honor, this beautiful, grown-up kid of mine.

4 comments:

Becca said...

You are exceedingly blessed :)

bermudaonion said...

You are blessed. Tomorrow will be one year since my dad passed away and I've missed him so much. I'm sure you still miss your mother as well.

Serena said...

What a beautiful tribute to her from both of you.

Anonymous said...

great kid, great mom, great mom's mom.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP