Small Damages, the opening lines

Monday, January 2, 2012

In honor of this new year, in honor of this generous post, the opening lines of Small Damages, due out from Philomel on July 19th.

The streets of Seville are the size of sidewalks, and there are alleys leaking off from the streets. In the back of the cab, where I sit by myself, I watch the past rushing by. I roll the smeary window down, stick out my arm. I run one finger against the crumble-down of walls. Touch them for you: Hello, Seville.

At the Hotel de Plaza de Santa Isabel, the old lady in the vestibule is half my height, not even. She has thick elephant legs and opaque stockings, and maybe the sun banged her awake when I opened the door, or maybe the look of me disturbs her, but whatever it is, she’s bothered. She puts her hand out for my deposit, finds a key, and knocks it down on the table between us. She thrusts her chin sky high, and I turn and take the marble stairs, where there are so many smashed-in footsteps before mine. Smashed in and empty and hollow.

6 comments:

Becca said...

I love the image of "smashed in footprints." And the setting of Seville ...oh, I can't wait to read all of this.

KFP said...

Beautiful. I can see and hear it all through your words.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can see this!

Wendy said...

Oh, do we really have to wait until July!?!??! Impossibly beautiful writing, Beth!

Unknown said...

Ohhh, this makes me so excited for July!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I can't wait for this one! I've preordered it, so I'm feeling secure that I'll have it within my grasp soon after it is released.

You Are My Only was my first book by Beth Kephart...and now I'm a fan!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP