We Took the Park

Saturday, March 24, 2012

This is not a photograph of our young writers; I lost my camera in the great activity of this Young Writers Take the Park Day.  But it is a photograph of my hometown, Wayne, and it is an image of kids hurrying toward their future.

Elizabeth Mosier, April Lindner, A.S. King, and Susan Campbell Bartoletti—I am so grateful to you for the time you spent today, for the hugeness of your hearts, for being there.  The rain threatened, but it did not fall.  The workshop writers came, and oh, did they write.  And when it came time for the teen winners to read their work aloud, not one of them faltered.  Clear voiced and big hearted, they announced their talent to the world.

A huge thank you to Ann of The Spiral Bookcase who made the event happen, to the renowned authors who took this afternoon out of their lives for kids, to Jamie-Lee Josselyn of Penn who brought her great spirit and news of the future, to Christine Weiser of Philadelphia Stories (and Philadelphia Stories Jr.), and to the teachers and parents who opened the door (and provided transportation).

Finally, Elizabeth Mosier:  I have taught a lot of workshops in my day.  Today, working in unison with you, will always be remembered fondly.  Thank you for everything.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Mosier said...

I thoroughly enjoyed teaching with you, Beth! And our group of bright, sensitive, talented young writers impressed me every bit as much as this wonderful event you masterminded must have impressed them!

patti.mallett_pp said...

Sniffling and so happy for you, Beth!

Kelly Simmons said...

I'm so happy your event was a success. What a great idea for our city!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP