It's Called Living (and I plan to do more of it)

Saturday, May 19, 2012

It has been six years since your last novel was published, and I gather you weren’t writing for some of that time. What were you doing? Jack Daniel’s and the “Today” show?
Living, it’s called living. You might call it wasting time, but I just call it living. Going bird hunting, reading books, watching the Red Sox, doing things with my wife that we wouldn’t have time to do if I was writing a book. There’s a whole lot to do once you can get out from under the yoke of working.

— excerpted from "Richard Ford Is a Man Who Actually Listens," Andrew Goldman interview, New York Times

4 comments:

Amy said...

That living thing sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

Yup I'm all for that.

Serena said...

Yes! I think living is essential...it feeds that creative mind even when it has nothing to do with writing or characters. gives the mind needed rest.

patti.mallett_pp said...

I liked that he acknowledged some might call it wasting time, but that doesn't change his thinking. Everyone is free to decide what they want their priorities to be, and how they want to live their life. (Too often we just allow the days to happen without questioning, but stopping on purpose for awhile, that seems all good.)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP