The Lives of Others, an East Berlin film

Sunday, May 20, 2012



As much research as I do for all of my books, I try to steer clear of any art (pure art, pure story) that might influence my storytelling until my own book is settled into place.  With my Berlin novel now in the compassionate hands of Tamra Tuller at Philomel, I feel less constrained, more able to watch or read work set in the same zones of time and place.  Last night, at my friend Annika's urging, I watched "The Lives of Others," a film that had been on my radar screen for quite some time. 

The film is, as Annika had promised, compelling and necessary—an intense, provocative, ultimately beautiful look at the compressed lives of artists in Stasi-dominated East Berlin, beginning in 1984. Heroes and anti-heroes abound. The loveliness of the film, the heartbreaking part, is how rarely the characters conform to stereotype.


2 comments:

patti.mallett_pp said...

Typing with honey-sticky fingers. Will try to locate this movie! The trailer is quite compelling. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah Laurence said...

This was one of my absolute favorite films. I saw it when it first came out and then twice more at home. My husband and our teenaged son loved it too.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP