be patient; it will come

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

For many days now, the skies have extended an apparent promise. The clouds blow in, they hover.  Yellow slashes the far horizon.  There is thunder.  I stand at the window and wait, urging the weather on, but the weather has a mind of its own, and the darkness dissipates, and it is heat again outside, charred grass, trees losing their leaves, the glads rail thin on their dessicated stalks.

This morning I lay on the couch just after five, reading the final pages of a very long book for review.  Night darkness yielded to weather darkness.  There was a catch in the sky's throat.  A breeze riffled the skirt of the deck umbrella.  And then:  rain.  I held my breath, didn't stir.

It was nearly silent.  It was brief.  The growing things bowed.

Sometimes it is best not to stand up tall at the window, asking for things, imploring.

Sometimes we have to believe:  it will come.

7 comments:

Becca said...

That must have been the same dark deluge that roared through here about 2:00 in the afternoon.

It was welcome here, too.

btw, had to get our Let’s Take the Long Way Home and read it again :)

Serena said...

Ah, to sit and have faith that it will come....that would be a thing we all should remember to do...patiently sit.

patti.mallett_pp said...

There is very little we can control. Chilling isn't easy but is so often the better choice.

Laughter is a good choice, too.

Erin said...

this was the very thing I needed to read this morning...how did you know?

Joyce Ray said...

I am thoroughly enjoying your daily blog, Beth! So excited for all the great reviews Small Damages is garnering. I cannot wait to read it. I agree about patience and waiting -"it will come." After 11 years, my book about Hildegard of Bingen has found a publisher, just as she was named a saint.

sarah said...

So I read your words here and see how beautifully you write. And I read the reviews at GoodReads and I believe how beautifully you write. And I can hardly wait to get your book from the library. Except I do have to wait, because a load of other people wanted it too :-)

Anonymous said...

How beautiful.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP