Flyleaf and the gift of a glorious Small Damages review

Sunday, July 1, 2012

I joined Twitter just a short while ago—an experiment, really, an act of curiosity.  It has taken me some time to find my rhythms there, to locate the heart of the community.  The hearts, I should say, of the many communities.

But it is because of Twitter that I now know a certain Heather, who loved the same books I loved as a teen (To Kill a Mockingbird and The Great Gatsby) and who now has a beautiful virtual book world called The Flyleaf Review: The Thoughts of a Devoted Reader. 

It is there that I find my book today, Small Damages, which Heather apparently gained in an Arc swap with her friend, Jen. I was a new name to Heather.  She wasn't sure about the storyline, but she gave Small Damages a try.  She has written a most exquisite, thoughtful, lengthy review, and I hope that you will look for the whole of it here

It would be impossible to choose a favorite few lines from the review, for I have many.  I am honored, for one thing, by Heather's comparison of my work to the work of Gayle Forman.  I was equally taken back (in a very good way) by this comparison, below: 
You guys, I am big fan of romance in books. All kinds. I like the big, in-your-face romance of some books, but I also can appreciate the soft, quiet, less obtrusive romance like the one written in Small Damages. It is a completely different kind of animal, but no less breathtaking, heart pounding or effective. In many ways I was reminded of the love story between Puck and Sean in Maggie Stiefvater's The Scorpio Races. And if you have my review of that book, you know that I LOVE the romance between those two.
 
So many thanks, Heather!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You ROCK, Beth Kephart. Thank you for your kind words:)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Sometimes the internet is wonderful.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP