that book trailer thing (as dissected by Tribune writer Nina Metz)

Saturday, July 7, 2012



Readers of this blog know how tormented I've been about the whole book trailer thing.  Do trailers matter?  Should I indulge?  Do I have a trailer state of mind?

Well, you know what I mean.  For my home-made, no-budget Small Damages trailer, I decided to go with quiet.  With photographs I took throughout my travels in Spain, with a hand-strummed guitar riff that my husband recorded out in his old garage, and with a few words from early readers.  I knew I couldn't approximate Hollywood glam.  It seemed wrong to try.  And besides, Small Damages is a story of discovery, not just of self, but of place.  There are few places more beautiful, to me, than my characters' southern Spain. 

Lately, Nina Metz has been pondering the trailer topic, too.  She writes of it with great humor and pizzazz in this Chicago Tribune story.  Anyone contemplating the making of a trailer should take a look—not just for what Metz herself has to say, but for what her cast of interviewees contributes.  Among them is the very smart Nick Davis (who is married to the tremendously talented Jane Mendelsohn, the author of one of my favorite books, American Music).

And if you are in the it's-a-very-hot-day-and-I-can't-concentrate-on-words frame of mind, do yourself the favor of combing the story for its links to effective "trailers," particularly the extravagantly preposterous faux effort by Gary Shteyngart.  It had me snorting with laughter.

 

3 comments:

patti.mallett_pp said...

It's perfect, Beth. (LOVE it!!!)

May you rest easy and be pleased.

Liviania said...

I love Maggie Stiefvater's trailers - she does the art and music herself and they're amazing. And obviously you can take amazing pictures for your trailers. While I don't expect all authors to be great artists and musicians, I haven't really found any other book trailers intriguing. (Plus, I don't like wasting my bandwidth watching videos about books that probably won't effect my buying choices.)

I do think I'd like videos of people earnestly recommending a book. Maybe getting a few early readers, librarians, booksellers, and bloggers together and just have them discuss what they love on film.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I think your trailer is very professional, Beth. And your husband's music is perfect for this. Good job.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP