what mathematically inclined people do at the beach

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

No, no, no.  I was not referring to me.  I was referring to my brother, who so generously shares his treasured Stone Harbor vacation with me.  Yesterday was our day, and so my son and I set off for the sea. We played, sang to, and analyzed Springsteen all the way there and all the way back, while occasionally speaking of Other Equally Important Things.  We Frisbeed (I'm terrible), paddle balled (I'll never be good enough, but don't tell my nephew, who is still holding out hope that Aunt Beth will work her way up to worthy beach companion status), walked (at this I succeed; just ask me), jumped waves (or stood near them), ate (anything we wanted, thanks to all the calories we'd burned), left books behind (no, not my own; what kind of ego do you think I have?), and ice creamed (Springer's, of course).  We did not buy a hermit crab at Hoy's, and I am pleased to report that at one point during our Hoy's shopping spree, my brother stopped festooning our heads with bad hats.

On the beach, mid-day, my brother, one of the world's great math guys (I kid you not), entertained us with this first-rate sand hill.  I'm sure there's a quadratic tucked into the design, though I wouldn't know a quadratic if it up and splashed me.  Still, my mathematical deficits do not dilute my enthusiasm for our sacred day at the beach.

It was wonderful.  Thank you, Jeff, Donna, Miranda, and Owen.

2 comments:

Serena said...

Sounds like a great day...I have yet to be at the beach this summer...sad as that is.

Melissa Sarno said...

That. Is the coolest sand creation. Ever. I want to learn how to make one!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP