saying no

Monday, October 15, 2012

Every now and then even middle children stop and say, "Enough."  Or, "I need to do what is right for me."  Or, "No, I will not be made a fool, or at least more of a fool than I already am." Or, "No.  Really.  That wasn't all right."

I did that this weekend.  Stepped back, assessed, and said (politely) no.

I do this so rarely, so twice-a-year tops, that is always shocking, even to me, when I step forward, boldly, to declare what it is that I actually want.  Writing to my son, telling him the story, he wrote back, encouraging, as he does.

Sometimes you have to do what is right for you, he said.  And if you can do it kindly, all the better.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Mosier said...

Yay! I hope you'll spend what time and energy and dignity you've gained on your creative endeavors! xo

Q said...

Let's throw a party! I just ate pumpkin cookies for breakfast––that counts, I think.

patti.mallett_pp said...

You have a very wise son.

At age sixty I began a new relationship with the word No. (May you do the same.)

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP