Be here right now. (My husband talks me down from the cliff.)

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

"But I keep letting people down," I was saying, to my husband, who was listening. "I do my best to be where I should be, to give back to those who have given to me, to do my job, my ever-expanding job, but even so, I'm late, I'm behind, I'm absent, my friends are wondering if I'm in fact a friend."

"I haven't had my father for dinner."

"I missed a reading tonight."

"I had to say no to four kind offers."

"I'm behind and I'm behind."

I am forever walking around, I said, (imploringly), feeling some kind of version of incomplete. Feeling every kind of version of lousy. I am walking around with all kinds of failure walking after me.

My husband looked at me. He listened. There was that flick of impatience in his eyes.

"Here's what you are forgetting," he said. "You are here. Right now.

"Be here. Right now."




4 comments:

Becca said...

I wish I could hug you right now.

Melissa Sarno said...

Oh Beth lady, I want to give you a hug too. You are one of my favoritest friends in all the land. Just be who you are and where you are. Believe me when I tell you, it's enough. xo

Anonymous said...

Wise man. You are a shining light. You don't have to do more. You are also just a human being. And that is what you are to be--human. Not super-human.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP