Philadelphia in Pictures: Paine's Park, Boathouse Row, Water Works, Project Flow

Sunday, June 30, 2013








I go nowhere without one of my cameras, and so, on Thursday, as I made my way to my morning of chilling with the teen writers of Project Flow, I stopped along the Schuylkill Banks and snapped a few shots. They capture the heat and color of the day.

That's Paine's Park up there, the brand-new skateboard park that sort of blew me away with its size and sweep; that's the Philadelphia Art Museum in the background. My friend Mike rides the curves of this park every weekend morning. I could have sat and watched for hours.

And then the Fairmount Water Works Interpretive Center and then a sneaky shot of Cira Centre. Cira is a Cesar Pelli designed/Brandywine Realty Trust building that marked the start of University City's renaissance. It is also the brain child of Jerry Sweeney, a city visionary whose leadership along the Banks and within the gridded city is largely responsible for changing the way Philadelphians and friends experience the city. I'm proud to count Jerry as a friend.

Next a broader view of the Schuylkill and Boathouse Row.

Next the back face of the museum with its fields of flowers.

Finally a few of the young people I met while talking about rivers and words.

Come to Philadelphia.

3 comments:

Florinda said...

Great photos! And I really do hope to accept that invitation to "Come to Philadelphia" one day.

Serena said...

I really love these photos! I love the invite to Philly, and I'd love to check it out rather than simply drive through the outskirts on the way to visit family in Mass.

Alice said...

Beautiful pictures. I still think of myself as a Philadelphian. Your love of the city always makes me happy.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP