Notes on her Memory: the greenhouse, photographed in winter

Sunday, July 21, 2013

In the Philadelphia Inquirer today, I remember my mother, who is buried at Valley Forge National Historical Park. In the early days following my mother's death, I would wander toward the Knox Estate greenhouse and think about rust and lost seeds. Later, I would come to sit on the bench near my mother's grave, which I had had designed for my father, and listen to the bells that sifted down.

The whole story is here. This is the greenhouse, as photographed in the winter of 2010.

6 comments:

Dasher 2 Crash said...

Thank you! Tomorrow I will go there to visit my parents, but also my son. It would have been his 26th birthday. It is a very special place.

Melissa Sarno said...

Oh, this is such a beautiful essay Beth.

Beth Kephart said...

Dear Dasher, I am so saddened to learn that three of those you love were lost too soon. I will think of you tomorrow.

And thank you, Melissa.

xo
b

Alice said...


How beautiful, and sad. The details of the bells is so poignant--suggests all the unwritten details of your mother's life.
My grandparents were married in that chapel. Beginnings and endings.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your article in the Inquirer. One of our Philadelphia area carillonneurs posted it to our national organization's (The Guild of Carillonneurs in North America: www.gcna.org) email list. I live in Frederick, Maryland, and have played guest carillon recitals on the carillon at Washington Chapel in the past. Here is a list of guest recitals this Summer. I hope you and yours will enjoy them: http://wmchapel.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/CarillonFlyer2013emailwebsite.pdf

Serena said...

I like this photo and will check out the article

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP