Notes on her Memory: the greenhouse, photographed in winter

Sunday, July 21, 2013

In the Philadelphia Inquirer today, I remember my mother, who is buried at Valley Forge National Historical Park. In the early days following my mother's death, I would wander toward the Knox Estate greenhouse and think about rust and lost seeds. Later, I would come to sit on the bench near my mother's grave, which I had had designed for my father, and listen to the bells that sifted down.

The whole story is here. This is the greenhouse, as photographed in the winter of 2010.


Dasher 2 Crash said...

Thank you! Tomorrow I will go there to visit my parents, but also my son. It would have been his 26th birthday. It is a very special place.

Melissa Sarno said...

Oh, this is such a beautiful essay Beth.

Beth Kephart said...

Dear Dasher, I am so saddened to learn that three of those you love were lost too soon. I will think of you tomorrow.

And thank you, Melissa.


Alice Elliott Dark said...

How beautiful, and sad. The details of the bells is so poignant--suggests all the unwritten details of your mother's life.
My grandparents were married in that chapel. Beginnings and endings.

john widmann said...

I enjoyed reading your article in the Inquirer. One of our Philadelphia area carillonneurs posted it to our national organization's (The Guild of Carillonneurs in North America: email list. I live in Frederick, Maryland, and have played guest carillon recitals on the carillon at Washington Chapel in the past. Here is a list of guest recitals this Summer. I hope you and yours will enjoy them:

Serena said...

I like this photo and will check out the article

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by 2008

Back to TOP