Philadelphia's Literary Legacy Unveiling, at the Philadelphia International Airport (A wing)

Tuesday, July 2, 2013












We dodged the rain and made our way to the Philadelphia International Airport for the Literary Legacy unveiling. So many thoughts, but, really, the pictures tell the tale. Great thanks to Leah Douglas (exhibit curator), Siobhan Reardon and Andy Kahan of the Philadelphia Free Library, Mark Gale, CEO of Philadelphia International Airport, and Dr. Adrienne Jacoby of Philadelphia Reads for making this such a memorable day.

Most important fact: Some 3,000 books were donated through this event on behalf of Philadelphia school children.

The exhibit, which Leah designed, is beautiful and will hang for a year in the A terminal of the airport. We have a mayor who loves books and kids—and supports both. And I am honored to be among those who love stories as I do, as well as my very first teacher, Rosellen Brown.

Among those photographed here: Mayor Michael Nutter, Siobhan Reardon, Andy Kahan, Karen E. Quinones Miller, Lorene Carey, Sonia Sanchez, Diane McKinney-Whetstone, Solomon Jones, Teri Woods, Judy Schachner, Charles Fuller, and Michael Swanwick. Rosellen Brown is featured behind the Mayor. I was amazed to find The Heart is Not a Size, Nothing But Ghosts, and You Are My Only as featured book spines, and am proud that Flow: The Life and Times of Philadelphia's Schuylkill River, Handling the Truth, and Small Damages are featured in the author panel.

Newly added: The Philadelphia Inquirer coverage of the event can be found here.

7 comments:

April Lindner: Reading, Writing, and Rock and Roll said...

Wow! How exciting. Is that before or after security? If it's before, I'd love to pay a visit. If it's after, I guess I'll have to wait till the next time I fly.

Wendy said...

I can't tell you how much I love this Beth!!!!

Serena said...

I love the book spines...it all looks gorgeous, as do you in that lively dress. You look pleased...and that's the best part.

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

Philly is indeed a hotbed of literary talent! And you are an outstanding representative. :-)

K. M. Walton said...

Incredible, Beth. Massive congrats on this!

Elizabeth Mosier said...

This is SO COOL! I love the way they did the display, with your actual book jackets!

reiko rizzuto said...

Wow! So great for books. This is incredible, and beautiful. Congratulations!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP