It goes like this: my nephew Owen solves the Rubik's cube in less than thirty seconds

Tuesday, August 20, 2013



We stole 24 hours away from clients, in-boxes, deadlines, and headed for Stone Harbor, NJ, where my brother and his family rent a house for one week each year. It's become a tradition—me spending a fraction of that time with them. I am infinitely grateful, always, for a day (or, this time, two) in which summer opens itself to me, and I don't watch it pass by from afar.

Owen, my brother's youngest, is a bit of a genius. It runs in that family. If he beats you at beach bocce, he never makes you feel too bad. If he builds his own computer from a motley bunch of parts, he'll take the time to explain just how. And when he's spinning the Rubik's cube (this is but one in his collection) and solving the riddle in less than 30 seconds, you just have to sit back and watch.

I have no idea how his fingers move this quickly, let alone his mind. But this is Owen, before dinner Monday night. He said it wouldn't bother him too much if I shared it here.

5 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

That's much faster than it used to take me to peel off all my Rubik's cube stickers and put them back on in the right order. ;)

Adrienne said...

It looks like the video's in fast forward mode!! That's uncanny. I love how he takes time right at first to 'take stock' ... not afraid to use a few of his seconds to analyze what's in front of him. Glad you got to inhale some of that sea air - we had two days on the Maine coast this weekend, and it did us good!

KFP said...

All the Kepharts are so disarmingly smart (and a bit shy), from what I have seen.

Is it me or does Owen resemble your mom when she was young? When I saw him here I was put in mind of some of the photos of you have posted of your mom, including the one that can be seen a few posts below, about how your father so beautifully preserves her memory at his house.

Serena said...

Wonderful...I wish I were that smart.

Tif Sweeney said...

Wow!!!!! That was absolutely fascinating!!!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP