Scenes from Greenville and Spartanburg, South Carolina: quiet glories

Thursday, March 13, 2014







What a glorious part of the country Greenville and Spartanburg, South Carolina, proved to be. And what enormously generous hosts I had in my friends Susan Tekulve and Rick Mulkey. We walked, we talked, we taught, we ate, we found flowers, fresh and unsnowy. In the process, I met incredible students and community members, read from Going Over, Flow, and Nest. Flight. Sky., and shared some thoughts about the writing life.

And then there was this: I saw old friends. The glorious Carolyn Wilson Baughman, of whom you last heard when I was in Asheville, NC, for her sister, Katherine's, wedding. The incredible Lois Carlisle, of whom I spoke after returning from the National YoungArts program in Miami. And Lisa Hammond (and her friend Joyce)—Lisa being the mom of another terrific National YoungArts scholar, Laura Rashley, and a poet herself.

So much good feeling. So many indelible memories. An early spring.

Thank you, Susan, Rick, Converse College, friends and community.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm so sorry I missed you when you were so close but I'm glad you had a good visit in my neck of the woods.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP