in which Diane Keaton writes to me. yes. me. thanks to my friend, the clay artist, Karen Bernstein

Wednesday, May 7, 2014


Remember that Going Over vase of last week? Given to me on the day of my book party, also known as the day of one of the worst spring deluges ever to hit my area, a deluge that closed the street in front of the library, where my event was being held? Yes. That gorgeous, gorgeous graffiti vase. Made especially for me by my friend, Karen Bernstein.

Well, Karen was fighting the torrential downpour in NYC that very night, where she had gone to see Diane Keaton, whom she adores. Karen had, in her hands, a copy of Handling the Truth: On the Writing of Memoir, which celebrates Keaton's Then Again. Miss Keaton said yes to accepting the gift and then inscribed a book for me (a gift from Karen).

In case there is any doubt in your mind about what Miss Keaton wrote, please let me translate:

Beth! Hope to meet you someday.

I mean. Really.

Really!!

That is Diane Keaton, signing my book. That is my generous and talented friend Karen, standing by. This is my life, which is very small and very big at once. I share it, gratefully, with you.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

I just bought Then Again today, as it happens. Figured I should read it first. And I'm always grateful when you share your life, the big moments and the small ones, both!

Serena said...

I love this! What a wonderful moment...a moment we all live for when our favorites want to meet us. Thanks for being one of my favorites

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh my goodness, Beth ... how awesome and amazing is that?! Very exciting!

Ann Hite said...

I so love Diane Keaton. You're the envy, Beth.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP