your story is waiting for you

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

More than a year ago (perhaps two) I had an idea for a novel. A really cool novel. A genre-breaking novel. A let's-drop-the-categories novel. A novel I'd have given anything to find a swatch of time to write.

That isn't my life. Time is elusive.

Every now and then, on the sly, I scratched out a page or two. Then weeks would go by, months, of utter dormancy.

It's no way to write a novel, right?

But, for me, it is. It has to be.

Yesterday, and the day before, I found an hour to return to this book. What struck me is how much I had taught myself about the story and the way it was getting told throughout the months of not writing a word. I'd solved problems I hadn't even articulated to myself. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, I thought, as I read over my own shoulder. Then: Here. This part. That's right. Do more of this.

Today the corporate work swirls once more. Today and tomorrow and perhaps for much of December then in through the spring semester at Penn there will not be much novel time. And yet, progress has been made, the book comes more clearly into view, my mind keeps telling some part of my mind the story, as it waits for typed-out words.

I write all this, put it here for you to say: If time is running short on you, do not despair. Somewhere in your head, your story is waiting for you.

4 comments:

April Lindner: Reading, Writing, and Rock and Roll said...

Thanks for this post, Beth. I've had two very separate stories in mind for six months now, and no time at all to write either. This morning I woke up with my head full of one particular character who wants to be written down. At last, she has to stand at the back of a long line--papers that need to be graded, exams that need to be given. But your post gives me hope. Maybe she'll wait for me.

Serena said...

That's wonderful news...that you did find snatches of time to return to it.

I'm even more curious now.

Sandy Cody said...

I've been having the same problem - and I can't blame it on time - at least a lack of time. You've just given me insight on my problem - the story isn't quite ready to be told. Thanks!

Dana said...

Oh I love this! It does indeed give me hope.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP