Marking my boundaries (from Two Buttons)

Friday, April 10, 2015

At Two Buttons, the Frenchtown, NJ, store that Elizabeth Gilbert currently owns with her book-and-movie famous husband (the store is now up for sale), my husband was one determined shopper. The place is several thousand square feet and what feels like millions of on-sale items large, but he was looking for one thing.

Boundary Markers, he called them. I'm not leaving until we have one for you.

My husband had already arranged my exquisite birthday retreat. He'd already taken me to lunch at Lovin' Oven, where they put kale, apple juice, and lemon into a glass and you finally understand the word elixir. He'd already given me a respite from the enormous pressures of this spring and bought me two fine editions of high-gloss Doc Martens.

But a Boundary Marker was a gift absolute, he said. He found the cutest one.

So that's my new Boundary de-limiter, please don't keep treating me like a second class citizen buffer, please don't think I didn't notice what you just said (or didn't say) rebut-er, please be apprised that I'm fully aware that life is too short guy sitting there, right at the edge of my computer, where I need him most. Here is the official store description. I have a feeling that it was penned by Elizabeth Gilbert herself:

Boundaries and Boundary-Markers are very important in the Indonesian life and culture. Often used to literally mark land boundaries, these statues are also used to protect one's emotional boundaries as well. Carved out of lava rock from the island of Sulawasi, these wonderful individually unique statues help to support and protect your boundaries. Haven't we all had times when our boundaries needed a little help?
(Typing, I think again: Elizabeth Gilbert must be the voice behind this merchandise.)

This is the year, my friend Kelly and I keep saying, that we turn it all around. This is the year. I'm starting by respecting myself a little bit more. And hoping that such a bold new stance will be noticed.

(and adopted by my many friends who are in need of their own boundary markers)



3 comments:

Kelly Simmons said...

I LOVE THIS!! Like a gryphon or gargoyle standing watch -- Don't. Mess. With. Me.

A.S. King said...

As usual, you introduce me to something new. I love that little guy.

Katrina said...

As usual, you enlighten and inspire. I've been thinking a good deal about boundaries myself. I struggle. I love the idea of a marker to remind me. The Buddha sitting beside my fireplace is my partner in presence. A boundary marker, well, it sounds very practical to me!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP