from a novel in progress (how life intersects art)

Thursday, May 7, 2015

-->
She’d teach me her cake. Try out her latest. Turn my kitchen into a mini coop—Harvey lacing us together with the striped ribbon of his tail. She’d bring the sugar with her, ask for eggs. She’d put the whole milk on the sill to get it to temperature, use the sixteen-ounce cups to sift into, to stir. She’d carry sea salt in a clear bag in her back pocket, explain the purpose of its crunch inside the batter’s silk. She’d call the confectioner’s snow, her French whip Jacob’s Pride, her technique ineffable, and it was. She was. We stood side by side, her elbows shaped like cul de sacs, the rest of her arms so skinny that it looked as if they would be permanently bent at the hinges, as if she would, and she never spoke of the boy, and I didn’t ask her.

(last night, at a street fair, I met an adorable girl named Sophia. she drew this rose. I give it to you.)

2 comments:

Melissa Sarno said...

Beautiful.

Cul de sac elbows. I love that : )

Victoria Marie Lees said...

I agree with Melissa. This is truly beautiful, truly Kephart deep. Thanks for sharing this with your readers, Beth. Good luck with your new novel. Can't wait to add it to my collection.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP