In my Dreams

Friday, October 24, 2008

I woke from a dream just now in which I was chatting with Michael Ondaatje. He had a shop (I don't know where) and a young son (all dark-haired, tiny), and he sat behind a wooden counter that was stacked about with books. I was working, I told him, on a research project involving a composer who claimed his music was based on Ondaatje novels. I wondered what Ondaatje himself had to say about his writing sparking a legacy of song.

Ondaatje was gracious. He shifted his son in his arms and lifted the composer's work from my hands. He was quiet, then looked up and told me, No. No Ondaatje's work had not inspired these songs. Look more carefully, he said. Think more deeply.

I was ashamed, of course I was. But I wake determined to make this day one of deep thinking and careful seeing.

Funny how authors keep talking to us, even if we've never met them.

5 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Will you do some deep thinking for me?
Or alternately, maybe I'll take 10 minutes today and do some meditation!
Take care :)

Beth Kephart said...

Meditation is always good....

I did some deep thinking, but maybe not deep enough. I'm never, frankly, deep enough.

:(

poetjanes said...

Well, Ondaatje is clearly a very important person in relation to your soul.

You'd probably love Rodger Kamenetz's The History of Last Night's Dream . . . when, of course, you get the chance to read for your own relaxation and delight!

Beth Kephart said...

Jane, I know. I know! I have to get this book. I am actually going to do some reading today.....

Em said...

Dreaming about Ondaatje! I once attended a creative writing lecture that he taught and I can imagine him saying those wise words to you. :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP