Writing out of Loneliness

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Memorialized this past week at New York University, David Foster Wallace, who recently died of an apparent suicide at the age of 46, was brought to fleeting life once more by those who knew him best—those who had received from him, learned from him, studied him, been sustained by him.

There is this line in the New York Times coverage that stopped me just now: "Mr. Franzen said he and Mr. Wallace, over years of letters and conversations about the ethical role of the novelist, had come to the joint conclusion that the purpose of writing fiction was “a way out of loneliness.”

I hold to that, too. I hold to fiction as a cure, or partial cure, or cause for hope, or essential distraction from the rain you wake up to, the doubts in your head, the daily desolation that you have not yet said what is most true, you have not yet crafted the story that reveals you. And therefore something waits. Therefore you must wake and you must write and you are not alone.

Your fiction is with you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/24/books/24wallace.html?_r=1&ref=books&oref=slogin

3 comments:

Jesi Met said...

I fully agree with you. When I was younger, My older brothers and sisters were out of the house off to college and jobs, so I wrote. I had friends; I wasn't antisocial. Nonetheless, writing was my only really outlet for everything I couldn't let go.

Anna Lefler said...

Yes. Completely.

BTW, there's an excellent article on David Foster Wallace in the current Rolling Stone.

Vivian Mahoney said...

I've never really thought of it this way, but there is an element of truth to this.

Hmmm...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP