Kirkus Best Young Adult Books of 2008

Monday, December 1, 2008

So it was dark here, raining (following a tease of morning sun), and after a day of reading Brideshead Revisited, of cleaning the house, of missing my boy, I was feeling rather unmoored. I'd gone off to the grocery store, come back, slipped the chicken in the oven, and was actually thinking the words, What next?, when the phone rang and I could see that it was HarperCollins. Jill Santopolo, my editor, I thought, beautiful Jill, with her bright blond curls, because that's who it almost always is when caller ID says HarperCollins.

"So," she began, in her bright-light voice, "I have some good news for you. House of Dance has been named one of the best young adult books of the year by Kirkus." I squealed. She laughed. She read from the PDF that sat before her.

So there it is, with a nod of thanks to Karen Calabria, who so graciously wrote the words that are included in the citation, including these: "The simple elegance of Kephart's prose effortlessly captures the helplessness and confusion of adolescence..." Thank you, Karen, for understanding what it is that I try to do—imperfectly, always, but oh, I try—and thank you, Kirkus, for your faith.

21 comments:

Melissa said...

Excellent news, Beth! I asked DH for House of Dance, Undercover, and Seeing Past Z for Christmas presents. Now I am hoping even more that they are under the tree come Christmas Day. (If not, they will be purchased shortly thereafter.) Many, many congratulations! Well deserved!

Beth Kephart said...

Wow. You are so sweet B&BM (are you okay with my acronym for you?). Thank you. I am betting Z will be hard to find, as it is out of print, but if you can't find it, I will send you one. It's a book I think you especially should have.

Emily said...

Congratulations! I also have asked for House of Dance for Christmas. It sounds amazing! So many people have recommended it to me (:

Em said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful news! Yet another reason to dance. ;-)

Becca said...

Oh, congratulations! You must be so pleased :) And "simple elegance" is the perfect way to describe your writing.

Alea said...

Yay, what exciting news! I actually won House of Dance in a contest a bit back and you know what? You signed it :D

Liviania said...

Congratulations!

And don't worry, it won't be long 'til your son is home for Christmas!

Beth Kephart said...

I am steeped in your kindness tonight and so grateful for it.

Thank you.

Love,

b

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, Beth, I am SO delighted for you!!!!!

Sherry said...

Congratulations! House of Dance has been on my "too read" list for a while now. Can't wait.

I've finally given myself the gift of visiting your blog and taking time to read a couple of dozen entries. Now I've placed you on my Bloglines. Thank you for your thoughtful, beautiful posts.

Also, I appreciate the support and kindness you show my daughter with your visits and comments on her blog.

Sherry said...

Did I mean "to read" or "read, too"? :)

Beth Kephart said...

PJ and Lenore–you are as sweet as can be. Thank you.

And Sherry, it's so nice to have you here.

LisaSam said...

So happy for you.
LIsa

Tabitha said...

That's fantastic!! Congrats! :) I'll bet you've been doing Snoopy's "happy dance" ever since. :) I would be!

Beth Kephart said...

Jane, Lisa, Tabitha: Thank you! I'm laughing about Snoopy's Happy Dance.

Would I need a special costume for that?

:)

Anna Lefler said...

Man, oh, man - CONGRATULATIONS! Woot! I love it when "The Man" gets it right. ;^)

Big smiles here for you right now, dear Beth.

XO

Anna

Jillian Cantor said...

Congrats, Beth!
And the cover for your new book is gorgeous!!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Wahoo! I am so thrilled for you. So deserved.

Beth Kephart said...

Hey, thank you, Jillian and Vivian. Your names sound pretty together....

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP