Boy among Girls

Friday, April 10, 2009

Oh, to be this boy among girls. To have access to their riffling suspicions, their percussive dreams. To know when they mean what they say, and also what they would say, if only asked. At the dance studio last week, Jean claimed, "Every story a woman tells about a man is the same."

"Can't be," I said.

"Oh, yes. Believe me."

(And I pictured this ballroom dance instructor day after day, hour after hour, women in the hold of his cha-cha, his rumba, confessing and declaiming and wanting and hoping.)

"Every. Single. Story. The same?"

"One story," he said.

"So what is the story?"

"The story is simple. The story is this: Men and women are two separate species."

11 comments:

scarlethue said...

How true. The moments of clarity are worth it though.

Anonymous said...

And sometimes not. ;)

Anna Lefler said...

Ah, well.

Unfortunately, I think the stories all sound the same to some men because the appendage they're listening with is not an ear.

If you know what I mean.

;^) A.

Juliet Colors said...

Funny. But isn't the story usually women complaining that men don't understand them, not the other way around, nor that neither understands the other?

I don't believe it either way. We're all human and therefore comprehensible by any empathetic mind, whatever our biological and social differences.

Maya Ganesan said...

This post makes me smile, as so many others of yours have done. This is the charm that you bring into the world, that makes you the amazing person you are.

septembermom said...

Lately, I have been choosing women writers to read. Do I favor the female point of view because I believe we speak the same "soul/heart" language? Possibly. Often, in my experience, many men want to curtail the length and subject matter of a conversation. I think that is why women tend to flock to each other for conversations with more substance. Beth, when you write, do you prefer writing to a primarily female audience? Does it change how you approach a story?

Anonymous said...

I wondered what the story could be. Then I thought, ah, of course!

Sherrie Petersen said...

Oh, but the way the story is told makes all the difference...

Em said...

I was wondering what the story would be! What a fun, philosophical post! And so true...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP