Gone Walking

Sunday, April 5, 2009

I have lived here a long time now, and I have taken near-daily walks—cleared my head, eased my limbs out of the posture of desk work and heavy lifting. You'd have thought I'd have traversed every road within an hour's walking, therefore, but yesterday I left the house in such a haranguing hurry that I wasn't much paying attention to the direction I was traveling, until all of a sudden I was somewhere new.

It was one of the prettiest bits of country I'd ever seen—a meandering margin of green, stone walls, wild daffodils, two ponds, a squat waterfall, and in between the new homes were old barn structures that seemed at least two centuries old. This kind of country telegraphs its own history and yesterday it dissipated my fisted-up mood. For there is hope, always, in the new discovery, and yesterday what I needed most was hope.

8 comments:

Becca said...

I love my daily walks too, and, like you, I've traversed the same pathways for several decades. You've inspired me to set out looking for something new today. A fresh venue to go with a new season :)

Walks are wonderful for ridding the mind and body of tension, such as that which comes when one is frustrated with electronics!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to be able to walk in the countryside. We live in a big city and although the ravines give a hint of something rural, it's a long drive to get out of the city.

Little Willow said...

What a pretty country!
I enjoy walks as well.

Amy said...

I'm so glad you were refreshed with hope!

Sherry said...

It sounds so wonderful.

Em said...

That sounds so beautiful! Looks very green and lush.

Anna Lefler said...

I still have this experience around here, too. I love stumbling into a new spot in the middle of all the familiarity.

I hope you found buckets of hope in your new little glen...

XO

A.

Tessa said...

It is amazing, isn't it, when you find a place not seen before, even though it has been there all the time.

I run, with my iPod plugged into my ear, and sometimes, just sometimes I find a little tract or country lane I'd not noticed before and there is a magic in that.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP