The Season's First Sunday at Chanticleer

Monday, April 6, 2009

Yesterday I hunkered down with client work until I could no longer and set off (this time in a car) for my favorite garden anywhere—Chanticleer. I'd received a season's pass as a birthday present from the gardeners themselves, and when I arrived I was floated at once up and out of myself. I had my Sony and two lenses and a borrowed video camera. I had my wild hair tangled up with the breeze. There were bursts of families and lovers on every hill, bright as balloons let free of their strings. There were those in tiger-colored chairs, reading alone and satisfied.

I am grateful for the many families I have accumulated in this life. The gardeners of Chanticleer have become one. Each gardener working the winter months to gift us in spring with new paths, new downhill leaks of yellow and blue, new fish in ponds. Each to be found in their own places over time, with the accretion of new stories now to tell.

I wanted to run, like the children were running, in a scream of joy down the plush, arced hill.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the name of the place.

Em said...

Sounds like a wonderfully beautiful and calming place. And I think that I, too, would be tempted to run down that hill!

Vivian Mahoney said...

What a beautiful image!

Sherry said...

I made it to our university's arboretum yesterday which is in my "backyard." It was the same warm sunny day you enjoyed with the same bursts of peopled laughter, silence, and vigor.

In reference to your last sentence, me too.

Tessa said...

My sister is at Chanticleer right now and she is savouring every moment, Beth. She rang me just yesterday to tell me that. I fear that I'll be unable to borrow Ghosts in the Garden because she won't part with it for an instant!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP