No Such Thing as the Real World: A Book is Born, a Possibility (i.e., Teen Writing Competition) Sounds

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Today is April 21, which is another way of saying that today is the birthday of No Such Thing as the Real World, a HarperTeen anthology that bears the subtitle: Stories about growing up and getting a life. "What's the line that separates childhood from the 'real world'? the back jacket asks. "And what happens when it's nothing you imagined it would be?"

There are six of us telling stories here—An Na, M.T. Anderson, K.L. Going, Chris Lynch, Jacqueline Woodson, and myself—and it is a very happy thing for me to be nested in with such a crowd. But wait, there's more: This anthology is designed to celebrate teen writers, too, by encouraging them (to quote the back jacket again) "to write their own stories about experiencing the real world for the first time. The winning story will be published in the paperback edition of the book." For details, go here.

I repeat: This book is an open invitation to you teens out there, you most exquisite writers. You know who you are, too, because I'm often on your blogs, awed and admiring.

Here are a few words from the middle of my story, which is titled "The Longest Distance."

Annie and Marne will never have what Joelle and I surely did. They may be laughing behind their hands, but their laughs are little kaput laughs, over before they get started. They’re practically flirty with each other, silly, the oh-my-God kind of girls, and they were always like that—on the bus, in the cafeteria, at football games—always making a show of themselves, like they were posing for reality TV. Except they weren’t like that the day I climbed back on the bus, a week after Joelle disappeared. They just stared at me then, with their hazel and brown eyes. “Hannah,” they said, both of them turned around, both of them staring open-mouthed at me. “Why did she do it?”

“Because she did,” is what I said. And closed my arms across my chest and stared out the window. All the regular things in the neighborhood went by. They looked blurry to me, underwater. I’ve worn sunglasses to school every day ever since. No one needs to know how I am feeling.

16 comments:

Liviania said...

Must go to a bookstore . . .

Maya Ganesan said...

Absolutely gorgeous. And thank you for the comment on my blog -- I'm stunned. You've made me immeasurably happy.

And I'm telling you: one day YOU will win something terribly prestigious. What writing talents you've got!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and what a lovely idea for readers. Wonderful texture in that picture.

Holly said...

Ah, to be a teen again...haha.

I will definitely read this one.

Sherry said...

Fun all around!

I need more of your short story. :)
Congratulations, Beth.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Beautiful photo! And the the anthology sounds good, too :^)

Beth Kephart said...

Thank you, you kind souls. The collection is hugely diverse. There seems to be a story for every kind of reader....

Laurie Schneider said...

Sigh. Another book for me to buy! I'll be helping out with a teen-writer's workshop this summer. The anthology sounds perfect.

Little Willow said...

Very cool! Good luck to the aspiring writers who contribute something, and kudos to the authors published in this new anthology.

Now I'm singing the John Mayer song due to the title.

hilaryhanes said...

How does one submit a story for consideration? I cannot find it anywhere!

Beth Kephart said...

For those of you interested in this writing competition, it is held for writers between the ages of 14 and 19 and more rules can be found on the harperteen site, www.harperteen.com.

Melissa Walker said...

How VERY cool! Certainly something to spread the word on...

Ally said...

I've checked out the HarperTeen site and can't find any info on this contest. My oldest daughter wants to enter...

Ally said...

oops! Sorry about the double posting!

Beth Kephart said...

A note to all of you contest hopefuls:

I have a note into my editor to find out more about this. When I get the information, I will post it here, in a comment! Sorry that it's confusing.

Little Willow said...

Read it, loved The Longest Distance!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP