When the World was New (an excerpt from Ghosts in the Garden, a moment for Tessa)

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I know that I've said it, but it bears multiple repeatings: An Aerial Armadillo is one of the most blessed blog spots on the virtual earth. Go there and be somewhere else—in Southern Africa, in Lantau, in a sacred before, above a plate of sushi. Go there and see beauty captured with utter verisimilitude, or with bold, painterly geometries. Go there. That's the thing. You won't want to come back.

Tessa, the force behind An Aerial Armadillo, has been reading a book I once wrote about marriage and El Salvador. I was honored this week when she mentioned Still Love in Strange Places alongside a mention of the reliably hysterical (humanly, craftily, and originally so) Anna Lefler.

Today is Earth Day, of course, a day that always has me remembering a long time ago, when the world was new to me. That's something I wrote about in Ghosts in the Garden, and so I excerpt that here.

We come to gardens bearing memories of gardens. I came to Chanticleer remembering a fringe of strawberries that pressed up against my childhood home. Whether we ever actually ate the strawberries that those tousled plants bore, I don’t remember. Whether my mother planted them there, or perhaps my father, I cannot say for sure. But I know I crouched the little girl’s crouch and peered, the way children peer, toward the fruit. I know I loved how the red would follow white, and how the white had come from green, and how the pendant of juice, with its thistle of seeds, would plump until it was too fat for its serrated cap. There is nothing exotic about a strawberry patch except that it delivers on its promise.

A strawberry fringe is a garden to a girl, just as the creek that runs between the old shade trees across the street is a child’s haven. I was the one who didn’t mind mud in her shoes, the child who named the tadpoles, then the frogs. I was an adventureress at the creek across the street, where it was cool and dark and also many shades of green (moss, algae, leaves). In a year I would move with my family to an isolated outpost in Alberta, Canada, where nothing anywhere was the lucky color of the Irish and I couldn’t find a seed, and I grew determined — always, forever — never to see that much comatose brown again. Three months later we would be home again, in the house with the strawberry fringe. My toes in the creek. My hands on the frogs. My dreams of fruit and flowers.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your writing is stunning! Now to visit the blog you mentioned.

Woman in a Window said...

So very beautiful and familiar to me, too, like it was my past. I'm trying to figure out if I know you. I came by way of the blogging award place (thingamajig) and it seems strange to me that you might have voted for me, and yet do i know you? With writing like yours, I'll have to investigate.

Woman in a Window said...

OK, that could be embarrassing but I'm not going to let it be. You didn't vote for me. You came up beside me somewhere and that brought me here. I'm not sorry for that. You've a mighty pen. I'm glad for the misunderstanding.
erin

Anonymous said...

Lovely passage and photo. I would have trouble living in a brown place, too. I love the green of my province.

A Cuban In London said...

Totally agree with you on Tessa's blog. It is one of the wonders of the blogosphere and so is yours. Many thanks.

greetings from London.

Juliet Colors said...

Lovely excerpt. It reminds me of my own childhood, wandering through the woods behind our house or lying prone in the yard imagining the tiny worlds in a forest of grass and moss.

Sherry said...

It's weird for me to be craving a place that I truly despised (hot,brown desert). Humor. I'm developing a broader sense of humor, right?
Love those strawberry memories.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Beautiful description of a strawberry. Think I'm going to have to stop and get some on the way home now!

Anna Lefler said...

Beth, you are so very generous. Thank you.

And, having just finished STILL LOVE, I am so happy that Tessa now is taking that lush and gorgeous journey.

Cheers all around!

XO

Anna

Tessa said...

Oh Beth...I'm entranced, enchanted, delighted and, above all, so grateful to you for this..gosh..this tribute. I don't want to go all floofy and drippy, but I will tell you how very, very much this means to me. Thank you, Beth, for being you...for your books...for your spirit...for your magic. See? You turned a strawberry patch into a place of beguilement and colour and meaning. I'm stunned...once more...and, yes, awe-stuck too. Thank you, dearest Beth, thank you.

Em said...

Wow, I've been hibernating from blogs so long...this was just the breath of fresh air that I needed as a welcome back! Now I must go buy all of your nonfiction. :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP