In Which the Son Rescues the Mother

Monday, May 18, 2009

Euphoria is short-lived in the life of a writer. You have an idea—oh, you have an idea—and you go all out in your attack of said idea—moving forward because you have to move forward because you don't have time (in the heat of the new) to slow things to a slog and hover over the fine points of perfection.

Then it has to happen: You slow down. You stop on a Saturday to read what you have written and you really wish you hadn't. You spend your next three days throwing out most of your work, swapping out paragraphs, cursing the day you opted out of law school (and why, in fact, did you opt out of law school when the law school library guys were so good looking?). Then you slow down, again, read what you've got, again, go off shopping for gifts for your many dear friends, again, and when you return to your desk and read once more, you hit a new low point of despair. You say to your son:

Can I, like, borrow you for an hour?

He says: Yeah, okay. Sure. What is it?

You say: Can you, like, sit on that Corbusier chaise over there while I read, um, nothing much just, well, you know, 38 pages of a stinking brand-new novel? Because we'll have steak tonight? Because it'll be just like you like it, which is to say, medium rare?

Um, he says. Sure, he says. Pulls half a can of Dr. Pepper out of the fridge and settles in for the haul.

And you read. And your son—he doesn't stop you. And you keep going, and what you've got, you realize, either isn't half bad or you're fooled by the sound of your own voice. And when you're done, and you look up, your son isn't even half asleep: He has a whole slew of questions that he's asking. Assumptions he tests. A few little pointers about that police work on page 10. He talks to you about motivation, does a few little turns around What if?

Oh my gosh, oh my goodness, now you answer me this: What would I do without this kid?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. Do you always do your first drafts like this or just with the adult novel you posted about earlier? I'm asking because my drafts aren't really ready to be read until about the third even though I wrestle with all the same things. If I read them to someone too early, I get derailed because the story hasn't yet arrived at where it needs to be. However I do most of my figuring out on "paper" (computer) and I know that some writers get it in their heads first.

Sherry said...

I can tell I've been watching American Idol way too much lately, because I'm catching myself imitating Randy Jackson and excitedly exclaiming, every now and then: "This is da Bomb!"
:)

Woman in a Window said...

There's something here besides the birth of a novel, besides...was it Dr. Pepper, besides believing in yourself. It is the relationship of a mother and son and it is beautiful.

Melissa said...

Love how the novel - and your son -(and you?) - are all coming into your own, together, in this post.

scarlethue said...

Sweet son you've got there to sit and listen to you, steak or not. My brothers wouldn't do that for my dad!

We are our own toughest critics, aren't we? It's good to have an honest yet loving sounding board.

Alea said...

Your son sounds really cool! That's nice he helps you out like that!

Q said...

You would have a harder time is what you'd do.

kristen spina said...

Exactly. And it all sounds so familiar except that here, the boy is still too small for readings, but old enough to encourage and cheer and advise me to "Just try your best, mom."

Lovely post.

Vivian Mahoney said...

I love this post. And I wonder, whether including your son in your work, makes him realize how wonderful and talented his mother is? Your son is incredible.

tera said...

I wonder if it is not the same, or similar with any creative process? I find I do the same with my artwork. I couldn't tell you how many half-finished pieces I have, and how much re-working I do on a piece before I consider it done.

Your son is great to help you out in a productive way! My hubby does the same for me with my artwork, even though he can't draw a stick figure, but he has a good photographer's eye and comments on all kinds of things that I may or may not then fix. :)

And in answer to your latest post...keep posting whenever the mood strikes you. I may not always comment on stuff, but I do read it all, and I suspect you have lots of readers!
Basically, if it makes you happy and helps with your creative flow - go for it!

Em said...

That sounds like such a fun way to spend the afternoon. Lucky you and lucky him, too!

Chuck Dilmore said...

this is wonderful!

mutual appreciation.
the eyes of the young.
the student reassuring the teacher.

children fill our sails
when we need it most and
expect the least.

beautiful - thank you!

peace~ Chuck

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP