Quaver/Beth Kephart Poem

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Now you understand
everything. How it was never
what he said or how he listened,
never the violent grind
of his coffee at dawn,
or the caution: Leave me
to what I am, to my idea
of the intransitive.

It wasn’t the way he kept
the birds in seed
or how time idled
in the architecture
of his afternoons,
or how, at night,
he resolved,
or I should say countered,
distance.

It was color.
It was the way
intimation came to him,
and shade,
the way the paint
roamed a glissade
but would not settle.
His assertion of quaver.

10 comments:

Jinksy said...

"In computer programming, an assertion is a predicate (i.e., a true–false statement) placed in a program to indicate that the developer thinks that the predicate is always true at that place."

Please, is this what you meant by assertion? I've never heard of it in this context before,so your last line had me foxed.

Beth Kephart said...

Jinsky: Love the question. I'm actually using the more common definition of the word here: a positive statement or declaration.

And of course, because it's a poem, I'm being looser with form, more (hopefully) suggestive. He asserts the idea of the tremble, in other words. The two words work in opposition to each other, but they define the subject of the poem.

Sherrie Petersen said...

What a perfect photo to go with the poem...

Anonymous said...

I love that last verse.

Susan Taylor Brown said...

Oh Beth, this is simply lovely. Thank you and thank you for the explanation you gave to Jinksy. I love seeing the thoughts behind the process of word choices.

Priya said...

Beautiful...the poem and the photo.

Anna Lefler said...

I don't know how you do this...but it's magical.

A delight.

XO

A.

Woman in a Window said...

You married this poem perfectly with the undulation of that flower.

architecture of his afternoons - now that is sweet! The whole thing, sweet. Melts on the tongue, it does.

Sherry said...

Hands down, one of my favorite BK poems.

Laurie Schneider said...

Violent grind. How well I know that sound.

The images, in words and picture, lovely as always.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP