Rain Smear, First Drafts, and the National Council of Teachers of English

Thursday, November 5, 2009

You should see the view through my office window, I wrote to John V., one of my earliest dance teachers, and still a dear, even if he's moved to Germany. Take a picture, he wrote back, and I did—the panes smeary with rain, the sky beyond somehow broken. It was the end of a day in which a long-loved novel found its final line, in which I stopped holding my breath, and exhaled. Anna sent a box of royal riviera pears from California—five of them, green golden. They arrived on my stoop the very instant I typed the book's final words. I don't know how she does this, how she is always here when the big things happen, but, in fact, she does and is.

In any case, in any case: A first draft. I will wait, let time do its thing. I will then work it through all over again. And then again. And more.

In the meantime, I'll be attending the National Council of Teachers of English conference at the Philadelphia Convention Center on November 22nd. I'll be traveling this way and that, among the booths, then attending, thanks to Laura Lutz, the HarperCollins-sponsored ALAN cocktail event before heading off for what should be a pretty spectacular dinner. I wonder if any of you plan to be there. If you do, I hope you'll let me know. I would love to meet you.

5 comments:

Priya said...

Maya and I did get your package today. We just picked it up from the mailbox. Thank you so much! I can't wait to get started :)

septembermom said...

I love reworking drafts. It feels organic to weed and stretch out my thinking as he play around with a passage.

Enjoy the conference!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous day it sounds like. Congratulations on completing the draft!

Becca said...

You must be feeling so good right about now :) I'm feeling happy for you.

Laurie Schneider said...

Yeah for pears...and finished drafts!

Will you be presenting at NCTE, Beth, or will you be at the Harper/Egmont booths? My husband is going to ALAN. So wish I could go. I went skating yesterday for a good-long hour, nearly alone on the ice with my daughter and two of her friends, and thought of you and Undercover.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP