Reading The Help

Friday, November 27, 2009

For one hour this afternoon, the house will be quiet, and I won't be cooking and I won't be cleaning and my gorgeous son will be off at his job.

The plan, then, is this: I'm going to sneak away and read a little deeper into Kathryn Stockett's The Help, a book, Motoko Rich reported in the New York Times, that was "at first rejected by nearly 50 agents" before it was "scooped up by an imprint of Penguin and pushed aggressively to booksellers, who fell in love with it.... Amid blockbusters from the likes of Dan Brown, Michael Connelly, Patricia Cornwell and Nicholas Sparks, Ms. Stockett has stayed within the Top 5 on The New York Times Hardcover Fiction Best-Seller list since August."

Who doesn't like that kind of publishing story? Who doesn't want to love this book? I've only read the opening chapters. I'm using this hour to read more.

9 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

I read this while in Africa, and LOVED it. Enjoy!

bermudaonion said...

I can't wait to read this book, especially since I lived in Mississippi in the early 60's. I never knew it had been rejected so many times.

septembermom said...

I would sneak away to read that one too! It looks great :)

Anonymous said...

Of course I love the story! Thanks for providing the link.

Julie P. said...

I am very curious to hear what you think. I really enjoyed the story!

Becca said...

I have this one on my list, and I'm looking forward to it even more now that I've heard the "back story."

Hope you enjoyed your reading time:)

Amy said...

I hope you enjoyed your reading time! I've been wanting to read this one as well, I don't know a person who didn't like it!

Beth F said...

I was going to say exactly what Amy said -- I haven't read it yet, but everyone seems to love it.

Kelly H-Y said...

I have yet to read it, but am looking forward to it. What an amazing story too ... absolutely love to hear that kind of publishing story ... it's uplifting and hopeful!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP