Book Making, Fundraising, School Speaking, Thanks: A little about a lot

Friday, September 23, 2011

I'm going to spend this beautiful day in the company of the students and faculty of the Country Day School of the Sacred Heart, which chose Dangerous Neighbors as its summer read. 

Before I head out, I wanted to share these few things:

First, readers of this blog know how moved I was by the Logan Schweiter Fundraiser, which took place at Club La Maison.  Today, at Generocity.org, in a story called "A Spectacular Act of Love," I report on the remarkable efforts of literally hundreds of people who together raised an extraordinary amount of money on behalf of a young local teen still recovering from a near drowning following a storm.

Second, yesterday morning I had a chance to read the Vanity Fair story "The Book on Publishing," which can also be found on Nook and Kindle reading apps at vfr.com/go/ebooks.  This extended essay by Keith Gessen takes an instructive look behind the scenes of one of the largest book auctions in recent history, which yielded Chad Harbach, a first-time author, a $665,000 advance from legendary editor Michael Pietsch for the novel (ten years in the making) called The Art of Fielding.  Anyone who ever wondered just how major parts of the industry work will have questions answered here.

Finally, a bouquet of gratitude to Medieval Bookworm, for her eloquent words about You Are My Only, and a thank you to Caribousmom for letting me know those words exist.  I am, as always, very grateful. 

To the Country Day School I now go.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Mosier said...

Have a wonderful time at the wonderful Sacred Heart! LOVE the dog! That about sums it up! xo

Karen Harrington said...

Sounds like a terrific day!

Melissa Sarno said...

Sounds like a fun day and that fundraiser raised $32,000?? That's crazy cool. This is the first time I have ever wanted an e-reader so I can read that publishing article. I'm going to have to track down a Vanity Fair...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP