Quiet, Please.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

We drove through tunnels, as I have said. Through the broad, excavated bellies of proud hills.

We had hours to talk, and hours to think, and that night, later, unable to sleep, I thought about what it is that I want from a life that runs so far ahead of itself, away from me, beyond my control. From Life itself, that so often ends too soon, abruptly, calamitously, without second chances.

I want to be believed in, I decided.

I want to stand in fewer shadows.

I want to be worthy of my own aspirations—not for fame (never for fame), not for riches, but for work done exceedingly, memorably well.

I want more quiet in which to do the work that I wish to leave behind.


2 comments:

KFP said...

You are believed in. I know of no shadows. Your work is astonishingly well done, and memorable. But clearly you have more work you want to be free to do. When you figure out that last one, let us know. Many of us are longing for the same thing.

Victoria Marie Lees said...

You have my vote, Beth. Your writing is inspiring and thought-provoking. Thank you for everything you do for your students and new writers like me.
~Victoria Marie Lees

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP